When I think about my to do lists I feel a sense of overwhelm. I know its important to get the things done so I want to do them. However, I hesitate and put things off. Its going to take a lot of time and effort so I avoid things. I wait until it gets more painful before starting. I don’t want to feel things way. I want to feel good about my to do list. After all it is making my life better. It contains things that I have selected by my own choice. No one is forcing me to complete it. I know that once I start then the momentum will keep me going. For me the hardest thing is starting. I want to feel good about starting, sustain the feeling and pleasure as I am doing the tasks and then feel great about myself after I was done items on my list.
Here is my to do list for today.
- Write book chapter.
- Proof read book .
- View house in Lostock.
- Exercise on treadmill.
- Do Intuition record.
- Book rooms for seminars.
- Write blog post.
- Watch US open final.
- Sort out Adam accommodation.
I am putting off starting some of these important tasks. They seem like a lot of effort and take so much time. Its easier to avoid them and do it some other time. Some of these I have been putting off for a while.
I need to make it as easy as possible to start the tasks on the list. I need to make them easy to do and pleasurable.
Here is a list of things I did to help me get started.
- Decide on the most important task for today.
- Relax and take 5 deep break.
- Put a big smile on my face and sit up straight as if I feel that I am the best.
- Get a piece of paper and pen.
- Break down the task into as small steps as possible. The steps should not take more than 5 minutes.
- Before you do anything else, get started on the first tiny step.
- Really enjoy doing the first step and keep the joy going for as long as possible.
- When you feel the joyous attitude slipping stop.
- Have a short break to renew the attitude of fun.
- Start again on the next step.
Extreme happiness Key 2
- Make a list of projects you have to complete.
- Pick a task from the list that you really want to complete.
- Break it down into key components.
- Go even further and break the components into the tinniest steps possible.
- Put a smile on your face.
- Get started on your first step.
- Carry on until it feels great.
- Have frequent breaks.
- Once complete then move onto next activity and repeat steps 2 to 7.
- Watch the TED talk below and apply the steps to your list.
Did you try this exercise? If you did share your experience in the comments below.